Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Summer's End

Well, I'm back in school mode.  I'm in the process of rewriting all my beginning of the year handouts and procedures.  I usually do a lot at the start of the year.  I follow a lot of the advice from the Wongs.  I even bought their new book on procedures.  I love stuff like this.  As I'm reading it, I am looking for  ways to streamline my procedures.  There is so much that I want to do, that I feel like I have no room for.  For example, keeping up with make up work is difficult.  Even after all of these years of teaching, I struggle with a way to catch up kids who miss class.  I've tried every method and I think this year, I will try again.  So far, I haven't found a whole lot of new things in this book.  I might even return it because it was $36.  Then again, I have a lot more to read.  
I'm excited to go back to using Edmodo, which is a safe online website where I can post things and kids can respond.  I didn't do it last year and I was going crazy.   I love being about to post polls, quizzes, links, videos, and even pictures that relate to class topics.  I can put all of the handouts there for students to download.  

I am excited to go back to school.  I guess I always have been my whole life.  Has there ever been an August since I was 6 or 7 when I wasn't buying new school supplies and clothes?  Either as a student or teacher, August has usually meant "getting ready." This summer has been so strange.  I spent so long cleaning out my house and getting organized.  Yet I really had no inspiration to start new projects. I haven't paint, sewn, or scrapbooked at all. I really haven't baked much.  I guess I need to go back to collage and make a huge mess.  Where is my inspiration? I have 10, 000+ pins on Pinterest.  Why haven't I made anything?  Am I in a rut?  Plus, once I get my inspiration back,  it will probably be for school things. Did I waste my summer?  It seemed too hot to garden most of the time.  No one was really around to eat if I cooked or baked.  I cleaned, but again, so what? I tried to get rid of my clutter and I physically can't lift most of it.  Waiting, wanting, and getting nothing done.  The border in the bedroom needs steamed off, so we can repaint. The front of the house needs painted and sanded (not in that order), but it is too humid.  So much needs done!  

I did relax though.  I guess that is more than I've ever done.  Oh, I read.  I really didn't even write that much this summer.  So I organized, read, dreamed, sleep, and watched tv.  I ate what I wanted and skipped the gym.  I played Civ 5.  I ordered things online.  I really didn't go out that much.   The kids were here and I was there, but where did the rest of the time go.  I gaze out the windows a lot.  The rose of sharon's are blooming. The woods behind my house were cut back a little by the company that owns them, they look different. I look at the sky and remember being 15 and painting with watercolors outside. I take long baths and read for as long as I want. I FaceTime with the kids and hear about their adventures.  I sometimes walk outside and find boxes of things I ordered and wonder how long they were out there.  I tire of watering my plants. Some of which look dead already.  This was my summer.  No, I didn't lose 100 pounds or make a bunch of money online.  I guess I just took it easy, for once.  The truth is that it is harder for me to relax than it is to be working on ten different things.  Relaxing is good, but you get nothing done.  It is intoxicating to watch Netflix on the couch, eating bad things, and not having a worry in the world.  This is my summer life.  Now, my work life is starting.  I will be stressed at times. I will not have enough time. I will dread certain things. I will worry again. However, I will awaken.  I will feel useful again.  
I go back to a box of wires that I must sort out.  A lot of work needs done.  Now I can stop the pretense of relaxing and recharging and do again. I need to make, I need to cut, print, laminate, and glue.  Without stress, I am a blob who can't function.  I can't wait until my Erin Condren planner comes. I am starting to get busy and I need it asap!