Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Home Remedies for Sore Throat/Cold




DAY 1- I got it.  I woke up today with the sore throat/cold that is going around.  I had a dentist appointment that I had to cancel.  I spent the day sleeping and doing a variety of my "home remedies."  Usually, when a family member is sick, I bring over my cure caddy.  I just fill a caddy with whatever remedies I have depending on the illness.

Here's what I do for a sore throat/cold:
*take a motrin or some type of cold medicine
*gargle with salt water: For me, this really works.  I just add a 1/2 teaspoon of salt into a warm cup of water, gargle, and then spit.
*use a throat spray: I do this if I have to go to work and I can't gargle
*use a menthol rub: I like the J.R. Watkins menthol camphor vapor rub that I got off of Amazon. I also use Vick's vapor rub.  I use put it under my nose.
NOTE: Do not use Vick's on babies.  (See article)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/avoid-applying-vicks-vaporub-to-babies-pediatricians-say-1.845457

*use a vapor inhaler: I try to stick with a cheaper brand like Top Care.  Cover one nostril and inhale in the other one
*tissues:  I only use Kleenex cool touch brand: they have coconut oil and aloe in them
*cough drops: I use Fisherman's friend cough drops: gross, but they work
*tea-I like the Traditional Medicine brand cold care variety pack: I am mostly sticking with Throat Coat today, but switch to Breathe Deep on occasion. I add honey and sip all day.
*drink a lot of water: I usually drink carbonated water.  However, I just drink drink when I am sick.
*supplements: I used to take Airborne and zinc when I felt a sickness coming on. I no longer do that.  I usually take some sort of multivitamin on a daily basis.  However, I lost faith using a lot of supplements. They never seemed to help much anyway.
*rest: I spent the day in bed drifting in and out of sleep.  
*Blistex: I use a lot of Blister and it is especially helpful during a cold.
*drink orange juice: I used to try to drink oj for the vitamin C when I lived at home. However, I never buy it.  

When I am really sick, I make a special brew.  Warning, it is pretty gross.
Liz's Home Cure
-beef or chicken bouillon cube
-garlic (powder or fresh)
-cayenne peppor (powder)
-lemon
-honey
-boiling cup of water
-ginger (optional) 

I just mix this together and sip on it. I just use what I have on hand.  

If I am still congested and sick, I will boil water and inhale the steam.  Just throw a towel over your head and don't burn your face.  

*netty pot: I would like to try this. If I ever come on a netty pot, I might pick it up.
*hot bath: I often add epson salt to the bath water to detox. 

The best thing about living alone and being home for summer vacation is that I don't have to worry about infecting anyone.  I don't have to leave the house.  

DAY 2: I woke up with the worst sore throat I've ever had at about 7:30 am. I couldn't swallow without clutching my throat. I gargled with salt water which helped. I took 600 mg of Motrin and another cold remedy. The motrin helped. I started sneezing.  By the end of the day, I had a full blown cold.  I didn't sleep at all.  I may have had a low fever.  I drank massive amounts of tea and water.

DAY 3:  Even after the night time cold medicine, I had trouble sleeping. I finally ate a can of Spaghettos with Red Hot at 1 am to open my sinuses.  Every time I tried to sleep, I either started coughing or blowing my nose. It was miserable. I was constantly going to the bathroom. I finally feel asleep, but kept waking up to blow my nose.  

Right now, I feel like I have a head cold. I keep slathering on the Vicks and Blistex.  I keep thinking that I'm so lucky I'm not in school. I'm off the meds right now.  I will just let my body heal itself at this point.  All the cold medicines were making me dizzy and shaky.  

On the upside, I did binge watch Penny Dreadful Season 1 on Showtime  (well, I'm almost through the finale.) I really like the show. I don't know why I never watched it before. 

Days 4/5:  I think this is the longest and worst cold I've ever had.  it just lingers...I ran out of the Alka-selzer daytime cold medicine I was on. I am on the last cup of the night time formula.  I also took a Mucinex because my nose is so stuffed.  I did lose three pounds and completely reorganize all of my clothes. It was weird because I actually became so fatigued while I was working, I had to keep stopping.  Or is this old age? 

I can't smell or taste anything.  I have no appetite. I think I am depressed at this point!  I am basically smearing Vicks and Blistex over my face.  I don't think I can ever drink tea again.  I have been swimming in it. 

Please note: I am not a doctor nor do I have any type of medical training. I don't even watch medical shows anymore.