Total Pageviews

Friday, June 10, 2016

Full House

Being sick, I haven't left my house in at least five days.  I became a little restless. I had some clothes to go through and... Well, I don't really know what happened, but I ended up dumping ALL of the clothes in my closets (all in four closets) into my living room.  Yes, it was very ugly. Hangers were everywhere. There were shoes, bags of fabric, blankets, towels, and tons of clothes.

Once I got started, I couldn't stop.  I realized that my bedroom closet is pretty big.  It should not have been jam packed with clothes. For that matter, I shouldn't have THREE other closets also jam packed.   
What was even in the closet?  I packed stuff into this closet when I moved in and never took it out until now. 

The empty space was great. I fantasized about maybe trying to just keep 20 items and wear those all year.  Hmm, that wasn't going to happen.

I keep all my shoes in Jackie's bedroom.  I haven't bought a pair of shoes in probably six months to a year.  Where did all these shoes come from?  Where did all the clothes come from? 
As I looked through the "stuff", I realized that I really didn't buy 90% of the clothes! Most were given to me by other people.  Yep, my mother likes to give me her clothes.  I more that I thought of it, I had clothes from other people, too. Hmm, like 80% of my entire house was stuff from other people.  Did I ever buy a toaster or clothes iron?  Vases, candle holders, picture frames? Was I a sucker? I was taking everyone's junk.
 I called in my mom and brother.  I went through the HOARD in the living room.  I was done. I did get a couple of, "Oh, you can't get rid of that!" type of comments. However, I still bagged a lot of the random clothes that I have never worn, were stained, and didn't fit anymore.   We just bagged everything up and my brother took it directly to Goodwill.  I knew if that stuff hit my garage, it would be there forever.  I had to have it out of the house ASAP.  I also couldn't leave all that stuff in the living room, so I transferred it to Jackie's room. 
I was fight waves of exhaustion as I worked through the pile.  Where did all this stuff come from?  Why did I have clothes in ten sizes? I didn't even buy this stuff why did I have to deal with it now? Clothes were pressed in the closets so tightly, they were all wrinkled.  

I got up this morning and didn't stop until every piece of clothing was organized.  I put skirts and pants (32 pairs) in one closet, shirts and sweaters in another, and my better clothes in my bedroom closet.  I left my scarves and shawls in my art room closet. I do need to refold and organize those. 

Now the challenge will be keeping my closets this way!  I still want to go through and get rid of more shoes and purses. I also told my family not to give me anything.  I really don't want or need anything. No more plates, towels, cups, vases, or any random things.  I don't need it or want it. I'm done and it feel good!