Total Pageviews

Friday, June 26, 2015

DIY Laundry, Dishwasher, and Cleaning Caddy

I had been meaning to make more laundry and dishwashing detergent for a while now. I finally had some time yesterday.  I had a bunch of little soap pieces to re-use.  I threw that in with the Fels-Naptha.  I actually find it better to use some bars of ivory because the Fels-Naptha is harder and creates more dust.  

I made a huge bowl of soap that I ground up with my old food processor.  I used a small food scale to just weight the soap that I would need. About 450 ML.  I just dumped in one cup of borax and super washing soda. I stirred it and broke up the clumps in the borax. Then, I individually re-ground this in the food processor.  The step is optional but makes the consistency more even.  The ivory soap really tends to clump together.

My borax and super washing soda had a lot of lumps and was very hard. I ended up having to rip the tops off the boxes and digging into them with a huge knife. I had extra boxes of borax and super washing soda, which I used.  

My mom and sister also wanted some natural cleaning products. I decided to just put the recipes on the labels so they could refill them themselves. Really, do I need to do everything?

I made two of Alvin's cornstarch glass cleaner, a shower cleaner, and an all-purpose cleaner. I would have made more but I ran out of spray bottles. I also made a bathroom cleaner with vinegar, dish detergent, lemon juice, and baking soda.  Wow, that really foamed up. I thought it was going to explode but it didn't.  

Put everything in a cleaning caddy. I added a rag, a blind cleaner, and a sponge.