Total Pageviews

Monday, June 23, 2014

Mexican Food, Chili, and Taco Dip from One Meal

 Mexican food into chili/dip: WHen I make tacos, I buy a few pounds of ground beef.  If you haven't noticed the price is not going down. I buy a large container of the taco seasoning at a discount store or Sam's club.  I brown the meat with a little oil, water, and a lot of the seasoning together.  I also usually add onion powder and more cumin and salt to taste.  Then, I cut up tomatoes, onions, green peppers, colored peppers, lettuce, and sometimes hot peppers.  I buy the soft and hard tacos.  I also put out, chopped up olives, sour cream, salsa, and cheese.  I like to make my own guacamole if avocados are on sale and ripe. A co-worker told me to use my electric burner to brown the soft tacos instead of a pan.  Just wipe it off first. It's kind of cool to see them start to puff up.
After the meal, I have a lot of left overs.  The next day, I use the lettuce as a base for a Mexican salad.  I will still have a ton of food left over.

Mexican Layer Dip Recipe 
*1 block cream cheese
*1 cup sour cream
*1 packet taco seasoning
-MIX together (I use a hand mixer)
In a glass pan, spread mixture on the bottom layer.  On top of that, put a layer of ground beef.  (Not too much!)
Top the beef layer with lettuce, cheese, and tomatoes.
Serve with tortilla chips.
 http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Taco-Dip-I/

You will still have leftovers even when you make the dip.  Here's what I do for my chili:
I throw everything leftover into a plastic freezer bag together: meat, peppers, hot peppers, and onions.  Usually, I will throw out any olives and lettuce still remaining.  Sometimes I do toss in the cheese too.  Then, when I go to make my huge pot of chili, I am good to go.  After two or three Mexican dinners, I have a lot of beef, peppers, and onions.  I also add tomato pasta, dark kidney beans, and some other ingredients to my chili.  However, I always get compliments on the flavor.  Someday I'll put my full chili recipe on a post.  I like to use masa as a thickener but I haven't had any for a few months.
Here's a "real" Mexican chili recipe with chocolate in it...

http://www.cooks.com/recipe/ka0ye2e4/mexican-chili.html