Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 22, 2014

Bug & Garden Party Decorations

It's been a busy year to say the least.  It's hard to believe that at this time last year we were waiting for our dear Sydney to be born.  Now, she is a beautiful 11 month old almost ready to turn one!  I can imagine life without her.  Jackson is almost three going on 25.  He is funnier and cuter than ever.


In the Woods!                                                       Four Months
Now, we are getting ready for their birthday party on Saturday.  It will be a dual Bug and Garden theme since their birthdays are less than a week apart.  I am not that concerned about games at the party since they have an in-ground pool. However, I have been up to my neck in terms of the decorations.  Here's a little of what I've been working on:

For my co-workers: this is the display board that I "salvaged" from the garbage in the library.  Due to my rep as a "hoarder" people tried to prevent me from taking and repurposing this cardboard display. However, I wanted to do another photo board like I did with all of Jackie's birth to 11 month photos. [Jackson and I just found his pictures in his closet.  He loved looking through them saying, "That is me." ] I simply painted the board with black chalkboard paint, printed the pictures, and then used velcro dots to adhere to the board.  I will embellish with more flowers or bugs at my sister's house.
I started to work on invitations. However, my sister ended up printing out a picture collage and making the invitations herself.  I will use the snails though as part of the decorations.  This snail is from the Cricut cartridge "Create a Critter."
I made some random flowers from the basic Cricut cartridge that was loaded on my Expression 2.

This is the adorable bee from Create a Critter. That was the first cartridge and I think still my favorite.

This daisy is from A Child's Year.  My sister wants the main flower to be daisies but I made a lot of different flowers.  I used a Martha Steward 1/2 inch punch for the center of the flower out of scrap paper.  


I made a few tissue paper flowers but my sister wanted me to focus on daisies.  These are so easy to make.  When I taught art I remember doing this project with 2nd graders. So easy!  All you do is cut different size circles out of tissue paper, fold them into half moons and then hold punch.  Run a green piper cleaner through the two holes and crunch the tissue paper.  You can make them a lot of different ways.  Here's a link if you want to use a stapler.
http://www.100layercake.com/blog/2011/04/21/diy-festive-paper-flowers/
I've also had several mishaps. It seems like the ONLY paper than I can use with my Cricut is the $5 Colorbok paper from Walmark.  I wanted to use a light blue shade (above) but it was a softer paper and just got torn up.  I did change to a new blade but I seem to ruin any non-Colorbok paper than I try to use.  Luckily, I really like the Colorbok colors and texture so it's not a huge deal. I wonder though if other people have those issues. Sometimes I want to put my foot through my Cricut and Gypsy.  I did use the Gypsy to search for things I wanted.  I also cut the shadow image on the bee and I had to re-cut that.  
I am planning to assemble the kids' favors and water balloons at my sister's as I'm going to stay overnight before the party.  I am afraid that we will run out of time (again!)  Okay, I better get back to work on the decorations.