Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 30, 2013

Quilting My Way

I'm still working on a little "patchwork" now and then.  I don't have as many scraps as I thought I did.  I really haven't had the time to sew lately.  I made my niece a few binky clips but my sister doesn't use them.  I need some new coasters but I just haven't gotten around to making them. 

Last night, I finally got around to collaging.  I got that Alene's 2-in-1 glue all over my fingers.  Even after washing my hands multiple times and using lotion, it was hard to get off.  So I was trying to sew, thread my needle, and cut squares with everything sticking to my fingers.  I need to remember to buy a bar of Lava soap.  I couldn't go without that in the old days when I used to oil paint.  I wish I could post some pictures of my colleges and patchwork but my camera won't connect to iTunes since the last update.  I have to figure out how to autosync Google again. That worked great for the two weeks it actually worked.  College is the best way for me to get inspiration. I used to paint from my collages.  Inspiration and focus are what I have been lacking lately.  I want to make jewelry but to drag everything out is overwhelming. Then, when I get it out, I want to make cards. Then, I want to turn everything into a chalkboard...

I love sewing together the patchwork. It's like a puzzle but also a maze.  Some of my pieces are irregular; some of my stitches are also.  I cannot just "crazy quilt" pieces that don't go together.  However, when they do, it looks amazing.  I am using pieces of old sheets, cloth that I dyed, clothes that the dog shredded, and scraps for expensive fabric.  I long for one of those quilting machines that just cuts the squares for me. An accu cutter or something?  Will I ever make big real quilts?  I don't know.  I'm no math whiz and I my quilts would never be perfect.  I saw an old quilt at the art museum on Wednesday.  We were on a school trip and I was blown away but how bright the fabric colors still were after all these years.  Who made that quilt? No one knows.

Virginia Woolf

“For most of history, Anonymous was a woman.”


Virginia Woolf