I made this waist apron for my friend G$ (not real name obviously) who teaches in a special education school. She needs to keep her supplies on her person because her students are on the go. I didn't really find any free patterns online. I did find a site that had some measurements on it. I decided that I hate to measure fabric. Unlike paper, it moves, wrinkles, and stretches. So I tried to follow the sewing adage, "Measure twice, cut once."
The patterns were not really supposed to match but I did want to use a darker colored fabric to hide any stains, food, or ink spills.
Being lazy as well as frugal, I used the bottom of an 18 " pillow case as that was the recommended width of the apron. Perfect. So I was making three horizontal pockets that I could sew in half if more pockets were needed. I did hem the top. I think I even broke out the iron since my fabric was so wrinkled.
The second pocket was 18" in width and about two-thirds of the apron. I also cut some ribbon to make apron straps that will tie. I pinned them in so they would be sewn in. I took the two pieces with ribbon pinned in and sewed them inside out and flipped over. Set aside.
I make a small 1/3 pocket, sewed it inside out, flipped and then hemmed it and made the pockets.
I pinned it all together and top sewed it around the edges. I tried to stay close to the edges but I was sewing through several layers so I didn't want to push it. I tested out the apron. I think the ribbon is much too flimsy and uncomfortable. This turned out pretty heavy as I think the top fabric is canvas or heavy cotton. The bottom two are medium to light cotton. I think I am going to try to make a sturdier version with cloth straps. I might have to look for that garbage bag I have of old jeans. I don't know if I have a denim needle or not. I am a bit afraid to sew through really thick fabric. I might try a simpler, studier design. Hopefully, I will get this done before the school year ends.