Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Waist Apron

Waist Apron
I made this waist apron for my friend G$ (not real name obviously) who teaches in a special education school. She needs to keep her supplies on her person because her students are on the go.  I didn't really find any free patterns online. I did find a site that had some measurements on it.  I decided that I hate to measure fabric. Unlike paper, it moves, wrinkles, and stretches.  So I tried to follow the sewing adage, "Measure twice, cut once."
 
The patterns were not really supposed to match but I did want to use a darker colored fabric to hide any stains, food, or ink spills.
Being lazy as well as frugal, I used the bottom of an 18 " pillow case as that was the recommended width of the apron. Perfect.  So I was making three horizontal pockets that I could sew in half if more pockets were needed.  I did hem the top.  I think I even broke out the iron since my fabric was so wrinkled.
The second pocket was 18" in width and about two-thirds of the apron. I also cut some ribbon to make apron straps that will tie.  I pinned them in so they would be sewn in.  I took the  two pieces with ribbon pinned in and sewed them inside out and flipped over. Set aside.
I make a small 1/3 pocket, sewed it inside out, flipped and then hemmed it and made the pockets.
I pinned it all together and top sewed it around the edges.  I tried to stay close to the edges but I was sewing through several layers so I didn't want to push it.  I tested out the apron. I think the ribbon is much too flimsy and uncomfortable. This turned out pretty heavy as I think the top fabric is canvas or heavy cotton. The bottom two are medium to light cotton.  I think I am going to try to make a sturdier version with cloth straps.  I might have to look for that garbage bag I have of old jeans.  I don't know if I have a denim needle or not.  I am a bit afraid to sew through really thick fabric. I might try a simpler, studier design. Hopefully, I will get this done before the school year ends.
LINKS: