Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Make Your Own Tags

Do you have a company? Do you want to see on Etsy or Ebay? If so, you need a tag.  I've made big tags, little tags, aged tags, and  fabric tags depending on what I was selling. Tags can also be used as bookmarks, gift tags, and additions to altered "smash" type books.  You can buy already made tags, use a Cricut cutting machine, a die cut, or just cut them out of scrapbook paper. I used to just trace my tags and then hole punch them. Cheap and easy.  You can also use a label maker or handwrite on the tag itself.
 
My newest company "Alchemy" is getting off to a slow start.  I used to be able to make tags quickly. Well, I guess I had more motivation because I was actually selling things on consignment.  Anyway, I want to have enough tags to put on some of the things I want to sell this winter. Really, all I have are some knitted scarves, tie dyed scarves, sewn coasters, bibs, burb rags, and maybe some jewelry I made a while back.  I would like to sell some DIY laundry detergent but I don't really have a standard container yet. 
I used my Gypsy to search for Cricut cartridges that I had that had tags on them. I think this is from Going Places.  I just filled the whole page up with tags. 
I used some leftover 12 X 12 paper that was cream colored and rather heavy.
Using Microsoft Word 2010, I copied and pasted three columns of "alchemy" in a dark brown color.  I used to use heavy cream colored resume' paper but in this case, I just used regular printer paper.
After brewing my Keurig coffee, I brewed a second cup.  Using a funnel, I poured the coffee into an upcycled creamer bottle.  Then I poured this coffee into a plastic container to paint.
I tore the titles by hand.  I like to age or coffee stain almost everything.  I used a paint brush to paint the coffee over each label.  I usually do this two or three times, letting this dry in between layers.
I like how the coffee blurs the ink. I want the image to look aged so it shouldn't look perfect.  I ran the bottom of the tag through a Tim Holtz ink pad.
I also printed some alchemy alphabets and images of the web.  I took these up and glued some on the back of some tags.
Let all the tags dry on a sheet of newspaper. 
Now, I wanted to age the tags further and add a touch of "gold." There is a long and interesting history of alchemy.  Basically, it can be described as turning base metals into gold.  It never worked, of course, but alchemy is the beginning of  chemistry.  (See I learned a few things in chemistry!) I have this Lumiere paint, some inks, and a gold powder.  I got these materials so long ago probably at scrapbooking expos.

I just randomly dab the inks, paints, and powders all over the tag.

I also throw some coffee grinds on some tags for some more color.
I just go crazy.
I sprinkled the gold powder all over the tags and brush over with a dry, soft paintbrush.
I usually slop some more coffee over each tag.  At this point, the tags are wet so I usually blow on them with my heat gun or hair dryer.  I also try to unstick them so they don't get stuck to the newspaper.  I lay some on plastic to dry.
 
I might go over the edges around with a brown ink pad. I need to print out more images for the backs of each tag.  I will tie a brown or dark red ribbon around each tag.  I was thinking of maybe putting a blog link on the back but "learning curve" doesn't really go with alchemy!  I guess I could put my email address also.
Links: