Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 1, 2013

DIY Cloth Baby Wipes

Ever since I heard of cloth wipes, I couldn't stop thinking about them.  I never got around to making cloth diapers for my niece. I couldn't really afford all the material. It's an investment.  However, I couldn't wait to "scrap bust" my huge stash.  It was time to make the cloth wipes.
There were no online cloth wipe templates.  The patterns are simple:  8" X 8" or 8" X 4".  I used cereal box cardboard to make my patterns.
For some reason, I kept an old wipes container. I wanted the wipes to fit in them.  The 8" X 8" would need to be folded first. 

Too big to fit!

I trimmed a 3rd pattern to fit in the box.
 I decided to use a layer of flannel and a layer of cotton from a bed sheet.  I did leave a 1/8" seam allowance. I put the wrong sides together, sew around but left a gap, turned inside out, and then top sewed around.  I used the zig zag stitch to top stitch.
I use a sharpie to trace the pattern.  Then, I used it as a guide to sew.


I started using the first cut from the pattern as my pattern for the second layer.  That way they are exactly the same size.

People say you will never use all the stitches on your machine. I do. I like to experiment with different stitches and "embroider."

Yay, they fit.

I don't know if my sister will want to use these with my niece and nephew.  However, I read online that all you need to do is add water.  I did see a few recipes with tea tree oil and aloe vera gel. Of course, I have neither of those things. Yet.
 
 There are quite a few online recipes for making wipes with paper towels.  It's unbelievable how many wipes are used for each baby daily. I was thinking these could also be used as hand and face wipes.  I am going to make a lot more using my scraps.