Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 20, 2013

DIY Abrasive Scrub

 
 
This was an easy green cleaner to make.  I have an off-white sink that stains easily.  I don't think it is corian but it is similar.  The previous owner warned me about the sink and told me the only thing that will clean it was soft scrub.  She was right.  I also had to use soft scrub with a magic eraser to get some stains out.  When I saw this abrasive scrub recipe, I had to try it. 

[That's 1/3 cup of Dr. Bronner's castile soap]
The Dr. Bronner's castile soap (made from olive oil) was easy to find at my local natural foods store.  There are many uses for this soap and the smell was great.  It was on sale in the store so I got the last bottle of peppermint scented soap. When I used to make soap, castile soap was always my favorite. It is just lye, distilled water, and olive oil but smells great.  It feels so great on your skin.  My dad used to get me big metal containers of olive oil for wholesale prices.  Now, I can't even find lye locally anymore let alone wholesale olive oil.  Yet I digress...
Stir the mixture with a fork or spatula.  It comes out surprisingly smooth and creamy.
 
The only thing that I would do to this recipe is double or triple it.  I think it made enough for one or two uses of cleaning.  I ended up giving this to my mom to try.  I plan to make this cleaner again soon.
 
Links:
How to Clean a Corian Sink
http://www.ehow.com/how_12064574_clean-white-corian-sink.html
The Many Uses of Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap
http://voices.yahoo.com/the-many-uses-dr-bronners-pure-castile-liquid-soap-2423917.html?cat=5