Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Seed Bead Embroidery

I've always wanted to embroider with thread. Then, I got a Martha Stewart kit and realized that I really don't have the patience.  However, I love the look of beaded scarves and shawls.  I have some beautiful pieces that I really treasure.  After stamping, sewing, and dyeing a bunch of fabric to turn into scarves, I thought I would give it a try.

Here is an assortment of seed beads, thread, and some straight beading needles.

I bought a lot of my seed beads in bulk for $40 from an old co-worker in 1999.  He has been really into it and had tons of them.  Some are plastic, some glass.  Various sizes and colors.
The fabric is below.  I stamped (using bunta mango stamps http://learningcurve2012.blogspot.com/2013/02/bunta-block-printing.html
) a design that I wanted to follow.  See the three blue beads.  Ugh, it was SLOW GOING.
I started randomly beading in and around the designs.   Next small I will focus on a small area.
I have a LONG way to go on this one.  Okay, it might take years to finish.  Look for an update in 2023
Bead embroidery tips: Be prepared to lose a lot of beads in the process.  Some fly, break, tumble away. I do pick some up later so I don't have to panic after I string one and drop ten. I also use beeswax to strengthen my thread.