Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Time to Tye-Dye

It's been a few years since I've done any dyeing.  Luckily, I did not forget how messy this can be.  I had a tie-dyeing kit that I got for $10 at Marshall's years ago.  (Of course I wish I would have gotten more because now the same kit is $25 at Joanne's.)
 


 
One reason I still use a kit is for the soda ash.  I believe that you can use salt with RIT dyes.  There are also other things such as alum that can "set" the dye.  Always wear gloves when working with soda ash and any dye of dye.
 

I started out by hand coloring the bunta block designs that I stamped last week.  These markers were $9.99 at Joanne's and easy to use. However, the process was fairly painstaking.  I did it as I was watching t.v.

You need to soak the your fabric for 20 minutes in the soda ash.  (Mix the soda ash with two gallons of warm water.) I used rubber bands but of course I ran out.

The fabric with hand-colored paint.  I wasn't sure if I would "lose" the color in the tie-dyeing process so I didn't overdo it.
Detail of the hand-colored bunta stamp. Would it survive the process? Read on to find out!
 

My set up aka my full bathroom.  Sadly, I also got Gorilla glue on the sink several years ago. I covered surfaces with cotton nightgown that I use for oil painting.  However, plastic sheet would be better if you don't use your bathtub/buckets.
Just mixing the dye with warm water was incredibly messy.  Just one speck of dye exploded into color. As I was dyeing I was thinking that next time I am dyeing OUTSIDE!   Dye got all over my counter no matter how careful it was.  I also mixed up a gallon of purple RIT dye from the grocery store.  This was the only dye that stained. Luckily, I had a magic eraser handy.

To start dyeing, I put a plastic bag into a bucket.  Then, I put in my fabric. I squirted the dye in. Then, I transferred the bag into my bathtub.

My bathtub is pretty old.  I wasn't too worried about the dye staining until I saw what the purple dye did to my counter.  I deciding to load up all the plastic bags into my two buckets and transfer them down to my laundry room. Did I mention that I have white rugs?  Luckily, I didn't drip dye all over them.  You are supposed to let the fabric sit for 24 hours. No way.  The Walking Dead is on tonight.  Plus, I have tests to grade.  So I ended up washing my fabric 12 hours later. 

Before washing, I cut off most of the rubber bands. I missed a few.  Also, put on gloves.  Dye was splashing all over the place.  If it wasn't for the snow, I would have done this outside.


 
I put on gloves and started cutting off the rubber bands.  Dye was splashing everywhere.

I loved the look before washing. 

Here is a shirt for my nephew. 

Future scarves.  I wish that I would have washed cloth with the RIT purple dye separately as it overpowered the other dye.
 

I set the washer on a regular hot setting with a little detergent.  This was a fabric that I bought yesterday at Joanne's.  It has small Swiss dots. It was discounted and very cheap.  I didn't get a chance to use the bunta stamps on it.  I am thinking of a simple dress that I can wear around the house?

Final results after washing and drying.


Not crazy about the purple. I think next time I will use yellow RIT dye.

You can still see the bunta fabric stamps but most of the hand coloring was washed out.

A little color left over.
 
Final result:  This was a lot of work!  I am going to save anymore dyeing for the summer. I do have a spigot in my backyard.  I really didn't like how the purple got over everything in the wash.  Then again, purpose is not my favorite color.  Next time I am going to stamp on already dyed fabrics.  Or maybe sew first, then dye, then stamp?  The pieces I was going to sew together for scarves and pillows just don't match anymore. Also, I learned not to mix RIT dye with the tie-dye kit.  I also need to plan better (around my tv schedule). I think that I would have kept more of the greens and oranges if I let the dye set longer.  I do like the tie-dye shirt for my nephew. 
 Next step: sew these fabrics into scarves, dresses, and pillows!