Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Baby Swaddler

I have been watching the video tutorials on http://www.craftsy.com/classes/sewing.  They are really good. There is a free one for a tote bag and small pouch. You can print out patterns and directions.  I didn't realize that so much ironing was involved with sewing.  However, it really seems to help.
   
I bought some already cut white fleece and this baby print fabric at Joanne's.  I also picked up this baby swaddler pattern.  The picture looked cute. I pictured my soon-to-be niece or nephew in it.  However, I assumed that there would be a picture of how to put it all together.  Wrong!  I was really furious with this pattern.  Somehow I ended up sewing it together.  I don't know if it will work to really "swaddle" or not.
 


While I was cutting out the fabric I had no clue what I was doing.

I carefully pinned everything before sewing.  It came out fairly straight.


Final product.  Baby goes (I think) inside the pocket.  I think that my sister is going to hand sew a lining on the inside.  It does seem odd to put a baby in a pocket though. 

It was easy to sew onto the fleece.  I was a little nervous because it was so expensive. I really need to find a cheap source for fabric!  Ever since I went overboard on The Wiggles toys, I have sworn off Ebay!

Below is apron #2.  I did try the pocket this time.  It was easy.  I didn't use the pattern one, I just sewed this one on.  I did go to Michael's and buy some cream colored ribbon.  I tried to gift this to my sister but she hated it.  She switched with my mom.  I love this fabric.  (Thanks again, #Gretchen!)
What's new? I think I am going to try a simple bag.  I got a free lesson on Crafty for making the double-sided bag.  However, it was a bit over my skill level at this point.